Tax Breaks for the Military

Military - shutterstock_158900600As we celebrate National Military Appreciation Month, we thank the uniformed members of our armed services and their families for their selfless dedication to defending our freedom. The IRS shows its appreciation as well, with a number of helpful tax breaks for serving members of the military.


This year’s edition of the IRS publication “Armed Forces Tax Guide” includes these available benefits:

  • Combat pay is partly or fully tax-free
  • Reservists whose reserve-related duties take them more than 100 miles from home can deduct their unreimbursed travel expenses on Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ, even if they don’t itemize their deductions
  • Eligible unreimbursed moving expenses are deductible on Form 3903
  • Low-and moderate-income service members often qualify for such family-friendly tax benefits as the Earned Income Tax Credit, and a special computation method is available for those who receive combat pay
  • Low-and moderate-income service members who contribute to an IRA or 401(k)-type retirement plan, such as the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan, can often claim the saver’s credit (also known as the retirement savings contributions credit) on Form 8880
  • Service members stationed abroad have until June 15 to file a federal income tax return. Those serving in a combat zone have even longer, typically until 180 days after they leave the combat zone
  • Service members may qualify to delay payment of income tax due before or during their period of service
  • Service members who prepare their own return qualify to electronically file their federal return for free using IRS Free File. In addition, the IRS partners with the military through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program to provide free tax preparation to service members and their families at bases in the United States and around the world

If you or a member of your family is currently serving in the military and you have a question about these or other benefits, please contact Gray, Gray & Gray’s Tax Department at (781) 407-0300.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s