The busy tax filing season is almost upon us. In order to help you stay ahead for 2014 filings and plan for 2015, we have listed some of the most common tax deadlines below.
As always, if you have any questions, need help filing your taxes, or are wondering what you will need to file, please feel free to contact Gray, Gray & Gray’s Tax Department.
January 15, 2015
- Fourth installment of 2014 estimated tax payments are due.
February 2, 2015
- Deadline for employers to mail out Form W-2 to employees and for businesses to furnish Form 1099 statements reporting, among other things, non-employee compensation, bank interest, dividends, and distributions from a retirement plan.
- Deadline for self-employed individuals to file and to pay their tax and avoid a penalty for not making the 4th quarter estimated tax payment.
February 15, 2015
- End of 2015 open enrollment at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- This applies to uninsured taxpayers who want to avoid possible penalties on their 2015 tax returns, which are filed in 2016.
March 16, 2015
- Deadline for corporate tax returns (Forms 1120, 1120A, and 1120S) for the year 2014, or to request automatic six-month extension of time to file (Form 7004) for corporations who use the calendar year as their tax year. (The normal deadline for corporate returns is March 15th, but this falls on a Sunday, so the deadline is pushed to the next business day, which is Monday, March 16th.)*
- Final deadline to file an amended corporate tax return (Form 1120X) for tax year 2011 and still claim a tax refund. (Refunds expire three years from the original due date of the return.)
April 15, 2015
- Deadline to file individual tax returns (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) for the year 2014 or to request an Automatic Extension (Form 4868). An extension provides an extra six months to file your return. Payment of the tax is still due by April 15th. You can submit payment for tax along with the extension form.*
- Last day to make a contribution to traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Health Savings Account, SEP-IRA or solo 401(k) for the 2014 tax year. (NOTE: If you get an extension, you will have until October 15th to fund a SEP-IRA or solo 401(k).)*
- 1st quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2015 tax year.
- Final deadline to file an original tax return (Form 1040) for tax year 2011 and still claim a tax refund, as refunds expire three years from the original due date of the tax return.
- Final deadline to file amended tax return (Form 1040X) for tax year 2011 and still claim a tax refund. (NOTE: Make sure you mail the amended return before April 15th so that your tax refund will be processed in a timely manner. And be sure to obtain proof of mailing, such as a certified mail with return receipt.)
- Deadline to file estate income tax or trust income tax returns (Form 1041) or to request an automatic five-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).*
- Deadline to file partnership tax returns (Form 1065) or to request an automatic five-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).*
- Final deadline for estates, trusts, or partnerships to file an amended tax return and still claim a tax refund for the year 2011, as refunds expire three years from the original due date of the tax return.
May 15, 2015
- Deadline for tax-exempt organizations to file information returns (Form 990) for the year 2014, or request an extension (Form 8868).*
June 15, 2015
- Deadline for filing a 2014 personal return for U.S. citizens or residents living and working abroad, including military duty.
- Due date for second installment of 2015 estimated tax payments.
June 30, 2015
- Deadline to file Foreign Bank Account Report for the year 2014. This report is required if you have over $10,000 (in aggregate) held in foreign bank accounts. Foreign Bank Account Reports (FinCEN Form 114) must be filed electronically. Extensions of time to file are not available.
September 15, 2015
- Final deadline to file corporate tax returns for the year 2014 if an extension was requested. (Forms 1120, 1120A,1120S).*
- Final deadline to file trust income tax returns (Form 1041) for the year 2014 if an extension was requested.*
- Final deadline to file partnership tax returns (Form 1065) for the year 2014 if an extension was requested.*
- Third installment of 2015 estimated tax payments are due.
October 15, 2015
- Final deadline to file your 2014 personal tax return if you filed an extension on or before April 15.*
*An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay taxes.